ladysprite: (new)
[personal profile] ladysprite
My doctor asked me to call him with an update today, to let him know how I'm doing. So I called him, around 1:30pm, and left a message with his answering service (the only way you can communicate at all) telling him that I'm maaaaaybe 20-25% better, that my pain is still very positional, and that I'm still getting dizzy and falling down with any effort or exertion.

At 6pm he finally called me back; he's worried about my lack of improvement. In particular, he's worried about my heart. Enough that he felt that I need a cardiac ultrasound. Immediately. He ordered me to go to the ER tonight, and told me that he'd call ahead to let them know to expect me.

I had to run home (I was on my way back from a euthanasia, so I had to handle the aftercare), but I was at the ER by 7pm. Where I got hung up at intake because they had no record of my impending arrival.

After half an hour of hunting, paging doctors and offices, checking multiple departments and hospitals, digging through stacks of faxes, and generally failing, a note was finally found that my doctor had called, but that the day shift person had failed to write it down anywhere, and hadn't told anyone on the night shift about the call. No worries, though; I was promised that I could be admitted through the ER and get the ultrasound tonight.

So I was admitted to the ER. Where they.... started the entire triage from last week again. Wouldn't listen to a word I said. After half an hour, when I was informed that I would be getting bloodwork and chest x-rays and an EKG, and told them that I had had all of that done RIGHT THERE ONE WEEK AGO and all I needed was an ultrasound, I was told that they don't do that there.

Not at all. No after-hours ultrasound service at all, no urgent ultrasound service at all. All imaging must be scheduled, at least one week in advance.

It would have been super helpful if they had told my doctor this when he called. Or me, when I came in. As it was, I'm at risk now of being rejected for future procedures because the end result was that I now have a record of showing up with chest pain and then departing without being seen (because I see no reason in repeating the same tests that were non-diagnostic last time). And I still don't have the test I need.

The only option they gave me was to be admitted overnight in the hopes of a slot opening in the morning, if the ICU docs felt it was crucial. At which point I decided to just come home, because I can be here and be slightly less miserable. I've left a message with my doctor's answering service, letting them know that I wasn't able to get the test they requested; hopefully they'll be able to find someplace that can do it sometime over the next couple of days.

But.... big fail, Lawrence Memorial Hospital. And I'm tired of being broken.

Date: 2016-09-22 02:14 am (UTC)
mermaidlady: heraldic mermaid in her vanity (Default)
From: [personal profile] mermaidlady
Big fail indeed. So frustrating.

Date: 2016-09-22 03:37 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I live halfway between Lowell/Saints and Lawrence hospitals. Hearing about your experiences, I'm glad we've chosen to go to Saints for ER visits.

Date: 2016-09-23 11:42 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Ben, I figured out you were thinking of a different Lawrence hospital when you told me about Dr. B's troubles... I think you meant Lawrence General (which is actually in Lawrence.) Lawrence General is supposed to be great for trauma, but not a lot else.

I agree that Lowell Saints has been surprisingly good to you. I'm glad Lowell General took it over.

Dr B, I haven't heard especially good things about Lawrence Memorial... can you ask you doctor if there is another in-plan and close hospital you could go to?

Date: 2016-09-22 05:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
As a medical receptionist, and your friend, I'm livid on your behalf. I have done the day shift person's job, and there is no excuse for dropping a message like that (and if I had I'd get in so much deserved trouble). I'm sorry, sweetie.

Date: 2016-09-22 04:38 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Total fail for them. Sheesh.

Date: 2016-09-22 04:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Go to Winchester. Seriously. They're about the same distance away and they are wonderful. Each of us has gone to their ER a couple times over the past few years, they take you right away and everyone is really nice. And when I went in with horrible stomach pain in the middle of the night two years ago I got an ultrasound on the spot (and wound up having my gallbladder taken out).

Date: 2016-09-22 09:08 pm (UTC)
siderea: (Default)
From: [personal profile] siderea
Christ. Is it ER referral failure month? I just had this happen to a patient of mine last week; I did the call-ahead myself, 15 minutes on the phone with MGH, and when the patient got there, they had no record of him, weren't expecting him, and refused to treat him.

I hope you manage to get an ultrasound soon, or failing that just start feeling better. This is all sorts of fucked up. :(

Date: 2016-09-22 09:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
Second Winchester if that is an option for you. And Lawrence should have called over to Melrose-Wakefield, which is the same parent company and maybe ten minutes away and theoretically handles emergency cardiac stuff when Lawrence doesn't. (I can't vouch for their cardiac service since I've only been to MWH with what turned out to be broken ribs. But the almighty web seems to think they could have helped.) SOMEBODY at Lawrence isn't giving good service.

Date: 2016-09-24 03:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
What the HELL? I am so SO sorry. Good lord, keep breathing should never be something you have to wish on someone!!


ladysprite: (Default)

March 2017

1920212223 2425

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2017 09:10 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios